Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Learning a new skill: knitting

106

Broadly defined, homesteading is a lifestyle of simple, agrarian self-sufficiency. While knitting isn’t particularly agrarian (unless you indeed have sheep to sheer), it definitely qualifies as a simple skill which leans toward self-sufficiency. And, it’s just plain fun… not to mention relaxing.

Knitting has been at the top of my ‘list’ for a long time now. I tried once before to pick up knitting but wasn’t entirely successful. I kept dropping stitches and accidentally increasing. Online tutorials just didn’t cut it for me. Not being one who gives up easily (and one who has no knitters among friends and family), I purchased this DVD and gave it another go… with sweet success! I just needed a few pointers, the patience of a skilled instructor, and the pause and rewind buttons on my DVD player. I was knitting within a few hours. It’s the best $20 bucks I’ve spent in a long time.

5 comments:

Our Little Baby! said...

Yay! Happy for you!!

Rhetta @ On Raspberry Hill said...

Awesome! Hope we'll get to see some of your projects in future posts! Thanks for the DVD link; knitting's been on my list for a very long time.

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

YEAY Melissa! Good for you for not giving up. I used to knit and did knit a few things for my daughter but then got bored doing a sweater for my husband so put it down and never picked up the needles again until a few years ago. I don't have much knowledge about knitting but I love it and this fall I intend to start up again. Not sure what I'm going to make but it will be something easy but fun for sure. Enjoy your knitting and I look forward to seeing what you've made! Take care. Maura :)

Karen Sue said...

Reading through your 'history'! I did a bit of 4H knitting in 4th grade. I'm 48 now. Found a pair of needles somewhere a few years ago, got a skein of yarn and started to figure it out. Checked out The Idiot's Guide to Knitting and Crocheting from the Library...Learned to knit dishcloths. It's been a few years. I've done scarves, hats, felted purses, felted slippers (clogs), a pair of socks...wanting to do a sweater. Took a class for the slippers and socks..found a couple of ladies at the church who can answer most questions in a way that I don't feel TOTALLY stupid. That can be an important part. Have dragged a few more friends along and they are as hooked as I am right now.

Melissa Price said...

Karen Sue, I've found knitting to be wonderfully relaxing for those few moments I find at the end of each day. I'm so glad I finally learned how. I've been an avid crocheter for years - that's what my grandmother knew how to do. Learning new skills feels so good!