Friday, July 22, 2011

Lest you think I’ve become a slacker…

005

I know, I know. I up and disappeared on you. Sorry about that. It simply couldn’t be helped. My husband has spent a lot of time out of town over the past several months helping with the storm cleanup and repairs. Sometimes a mama just has to prioritize to get the important stuff done.

015

Like oven-drying figs…

014

These babies are divine!

(They’ll keep for up to a week at room temperature, and for a month or so in the fridge. Remove stems, halve, and dry in the oven on a parchment lined cookie sheet for 12-24 hours or until they reach desired doneness. Use your lowest oven setting – mine is 170 degrees.)

002

Apple and pear picking…

024

And, of course, canning.

(Fig preserves and spiced applesauce.)

012

Making fresh homemade pico de gallo (heavy on the onions and jalapeños) is a given for us.

005

And check out this Hill Country Red Okra that I just picked this morning.

Gorgeous. I know what’s for dinner tonight.

030

And lest you think my work is done… Not even close!

But, I missed you guys.

14 comments:

The Mac's House said...

You have been very busy and those figs look so yummy as well as everything else.

Melissa Price said...

Teri, it's always good to hear from you! I hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Diane@Peaceful Acres Farm said...

YUM! I am so envious of your figs! I do wish I had some. But I don't so I'm happy you do!!!!

Unknown said...

Oh Melissa you sure have been busy. Those figs look so yummy. Great that you are back.

dbout said...

I, too, am an Alabama homesteader. I've also been up to my ears in canning. Isn't it wonderful? I love putting up the summer goodness to enjoy later. Your figs look lovely. My fig tree is still a baby. Maybe next year.Bless your husband for helping the tornado victims. It's going to take a long time to re-build.

inadvertent farmer said...

We are just gearing up for the preserving season here...we are so far behind due to wet/cold weather.

Your figs look scrumptious...wonder if they would grow in the Pacific Northwest? Hmmmm I may have to look and see!

Have fun canning! kim

Mary Frances S. said...

Miss you Melissa!! I want to talk to you about canning... I'm trying to learn. Hope your summer's been wonderful!

Melissa Price said...

Thanks, guys! It is fun for sure... I'd love to teach you to can, Mary Frances!

Southerner said...

I just saw your comment you left on my post last month. I am so sorry, we were in Germany and had some hotels with no internet connection and some with spotty connections. It is so nice to meet someone from Alabama. Looks like you have been very busy! I haven't had a fig since I was a little girl. My grandmother had them on her property, but she moved in with us when I was 12 so that was a long time ago :)

Kelly said...

Melissa, did you go to Floyd in junior high? I was researching homesteading in Alabama and came across your blog. I told my sister Kandice that you look just like a girl we went to school with? Love the blog :)

Melissa Price said...

Kelly, I did go to Floyd! Wow! Small world, huh? I hope things are good for you and yours. Blessings to you!

Melissa Price said...

Kelly, sometimes my mind is a little slow these days, but I just figured out exactly who you are! I have fond memories of you and your sister Kandice. Please tell her I said hello! : )

Donna said...

I just discovered your blog recently and notice that you haven't made any new posts. I am so sorry to hear of all the pain you are going through and also saw that your homestead is up for sale. Are you okay? I hate that your dreams fell through.

Unknown said...

Any updates?