Tuesday, July 6, 2010

So, she still sews…

185 

Yeah, but not very often this time of year. Summer is for digging in the dirt. For being outside as often as possible.

For picnics. And camping. And swimming. And canning.

177 

But when the need-to-sew bug bites, who am I to ignore it?

194

I started making these little potholders as practice for quilting. I’ve wanted to make a quilt for a long time.

196

But, the whole process seems so intimidating to me. I’m a small project kind of girl.

I love to whip up Sara Lynn an outfit in an afternoon. I’m not so big on those non-instant-gratification-projects.

203

I purchased the fabric for my first quilt well over a year ago… maybe even 2 years ago. Time to bite the bullet.

209

And break out the handy-dandy walking foot.

216

It wasn’t so bad after all.

221

Except for that darning foot. Little bugger.

No matter how hard I practiced, I was simply awful at free-motion quilting. (As evidenced in the bottom potholder above.)

Oh, well. I guess that means my quilt will have nice little symmetrical lines. That appeals to me. What a relief!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

YEAH!!! Good on you and your quilting is looking just fine.
If you ever want to know anything about quilting, just let me know :)

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

LOL WOOHOO Melissa!! It all looks good to me my friend...I've only sewn a few things in my life and don't know a lot but I think you did a wonderful job on the quilting for your potholders. I've always wanted to make a quilt too but have never tried it. Maybe one day I'll start with a pillow cover. Good luck with your future quilt...maybe this winter? Enjoy your Wednesday....Maura :)

Melissa Price said...

AWESOME! I'm glad to know I now have a go-to-girl with all of my quilting questions. Thanks, Sue! You'll probably regret your kind offer of help before it's over... ; ) Melissa

Melissa Price said...

Maura, thank you for the compliment! I think it turned out pretty good for my first try. I'm pleased with it. But, yes, it'll surely be winter before I tackle the big one! : ) Melissa

MAYBELLINE said...

Please keep posting updates on this project.

Rhetta @ On Raspberry Hill said...

Beautiful job and what a great idea to start with potholders. Seems do-able to me. I have yet to attempt a quilt, even for Ellie's doll. I agree with Maybelline--please keep posting updates!

I'm dying to know if you made your ironing board cover. Love the print. Blessings!

Melissa Price said...

Maybelline, I'll do it. Can't promise it'll be soon, but as soon as I get to the binding, I'll post it and link to where I found the tutorial.

Rhetta, it was very do-able. You should go for it yourself! And believe it or not, I had just bought a pattern to make my own ironing board cover when I found this ready-made one on clearance. It was love at first sight! (And so cheap.)

Berit said...

This looks lovely! I also want to quilt, but it's such an undertaking! I also can't tell if I'd need a long-arm machine or not. :D When you finish these be sure to photograph them next to your beautiful antique singer, lol! Those will be some drool-worthy photos!

Melissa Price said...

Berit, If you do a small - medium sized quilt, from what I've read, you shouldn't need a long arm. Give it a go! We can learn together. : ) Melissa