Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Pickling Lemon Cucumbers – spears and slices

097

I’ve been a busy woman lately. The lemon cucumbers have been prolific around here…

And aren’t they gorgeous all quartered, salted, and ready to be pickled?

109

I thought so.

130

I chose another recipe from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving:

Pick-a-Vegetable Dill Pickles (page 16) for all of you who might have the book or be interested in what this beautiful goodness actually is…

133

Garlic, jalapeño, red bell pepper, and dill seeds. It smelled heavenly!

146

Yeah, this makes mama happy.

156

And while I was busy in the kitchen, my sweet boy was out picking figs. Fig preserves, anyone?

180

These are the slices – absolutely perfect for a sandwich, if I do say so myself.

Just look at that big guy up there! Most laid flat, but I wanted you to see this one.

They are admittedly a little seedy, but I didn’t let that stop me. Nobody is perfect.

185

And these are the spears… or wedges, is more like it.

These are the most beautiful pickles I’ve ever canned. Lemon cucumber dill pickles – a new favorite is born.

There’s just something about those stripes that does it for me.

189

And just so you know, the figs are beyond delicious… words fail me. Fig preserves will be happening soon.

125

In case you’re wondering how I keep my littlest one entertained while I can…

194

We have lots and lots of puzzles…

196

And lots and lots of breaks!

6 comments:

Diane@Peaceful Acres said...

Oh boy!!! The pickles turned out really lovely. Isn't it fun to add something that we least expect to a mix like the Jalapeno? Fun, fun, fun!

And since your asking...sure, I'd love some Fig Preserves!!! ;) I only planted my fig trees this spring, so it seems as if I'll have to wait a bit. But it looks worth the wait. I had my first fresh fig in 1978 and I'll never forget it's wonderful sweetness that just melts in your mouth good!

Melissa Price said...

Diane, I agree, figs are wonderful. I can hardly wait for the preserves! : )

Rhetta @ On Raspberry Hill said...

Those pickles are absolutely beautiful! Your pantry must be an amazing display of God's bounty. Blessings to you and your family.

inadvertent farmer said...

We have been doing jams and jellies...pickles next! Your's are just gorgeous!

We've been doing lots of puzzles here too! Kim

Anonymous said...

These look great! Could you please post the full recipe? I've got a big day of canning ahead of me.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

When I can these can I put a lemon wedge in too?