Thursday, January 20, 2011

Some days are better than others

004

Can I be honest here? I’m having a really tough time lately. And that’s okay. Sometimes life doesn’t make sense, but there’s no use crying over spilt milk. I’ve learned that the hard way. We’re in God’s hands and only He can see the big picture of our lives. So, we must keep going - putting one foot in front of the other, and praying for better days.

Sometimes, everybody hurts. Everybody hurts, sometimes. ~REM

I’ve found that the key to surviving the difficult times is to focus on today. What can I do right now? I try not to think about all those things I can’t do. I try not to worry about tomorrow, because honestly, today has enough trouble of it’s own. Right now, these words are very real to me. I trust that the Lord will not put on my plate any more than I can bear. I remind myself of Paul’s words:

“Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

017

So, I cook for my family. Gluten free peach crisp.

034

I make sauerkraut.

052

I marvel at 2 cabbages that barely half-fill two quart-size mason jars.

011

I prepare sourdough bread for my loved ones.

025

And on the days when mama hurts too much to move, we eat take-out pizza by candlelight.

I find myself in the midst of a severe Crohn’s flare-up and unable to take medication to ease the pain of two more degenerative discs in my spine.

But, I know that there’s a better day coming…

10 comments:

Rhetta said...

Oh, Melissa! Bless your heart. I am praying for relief for you, and that those better days are just another step or two ahead.

The Mac's House said...

Melissa, I was just thinking about you yesterday and reread some of your blog posts. Although I haven't commented on them in the past couple of posts I really enjoy going thru them.

I hope you feel better soon.

Pizza by candlelight sounds great!

Melissa Price said...

Rhetta, your prayers are sincerely appreciated. Blessings to you as well!

Melissa Price said...

Terri, I'm glad you're still hanging around! I know my posts have been sparse lately. I'm just trying to get through each day the best I can right now. And yes, pizza by candlelight is magical! We really try to make the best of these days. : )

Unknown said...

oh darling I feel for you. Chin up I am thinking of you and sending lots of positive thoughts your way.

Melissa Price said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Sue. Chin is up! : )

Diane@Peaceful Acres Farm said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers Melissa! I'm so sorry it hurts so badly. Yep, one day at a time, Sweet Jesus. I hope it lifts soon. Until then rest in His everlasting arms.

Melissa Price said...

Thank you, Diane. All prayers are greatly appreciated around here.

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

Melissa...I'm so sorry that you are going through such a tough time right now. Sometimes life seems to drag us down with hardships and sickness and it seems we'll never pull our selves up and out again. Hold on to your faith...squeeze it tight and in time things will get better. Take care my friend. Maura X

Melissa Price said...

Maura, I'm hanging on and hanging in. I appreciate your encouragement. It's true - we all go through tough times. It's what we choose to believe (or who we choose to believe in - Jesus!) that makes all the difference.